What's Rachie up to? - Hair Update Week 5, 2014... :-)

Hey there!!!

Its weekly update time again, already! In fact I try to get these updates done anytime between Thursday and Saturday. I've just got a breather from work, so I'll make do with this little nugget of time :-D
As usual life has been hectic, but its all good. :-) I've been a lot better this week hair-care wise. I've definitely been more on point with my routine. There's definitely still room for improvement, but I'm a go-getter so I suspect there will ALWAYS be room for improvement! ;-)


Okay, onto the Update... :-)

Last relaxer date: October 10th 2013
Currently: 15 weeks and 3 days post relaxer!!! Yayness :-D I definitely couldn't have done it without the braids.
Next Relaxer: I'm STILL not sure. :-) I keep going back and forth between (1) Continuing to Texlax until I reach Waistlength or WHIP length; and (2) Going natural. Which ever I decide on, I would like my hair to be healthy and to reach my Waistlength goal.


How I'm feeling about my hair today: about 8/10 today :-)


Points gained: 
  • I'm happy to report I've been on point with my daily water, exercise, vitamins and 5 fruits and veggies intake! Woot woot! p.s. the jump rope was a life saver :-D I start jogging tomorrow morning, wish me luck!
  • I've also been on point with my daily Moisturizing and sealing and wearing a satin scarf at nights.
  • I did my once weekly deep conditioner this week - super important at this point, especially since I'm in the middle of a long relaxer stretch (15 weeks is long for me)/ transition to natural (still not sure). The line of demarcation needs all the help it can get! :-)
Points lost:

  • Sometimes I feel like my hair feels thinner than I'd like. I keep having to remind myself that my hair strands are actually quite fine, so when it is in braids, it does appear that my hair is thinner in general. My relaxed ends look especially thin to me. I don't think there is any short term fix for that, not that I can think of at least. Maybe a Cassia treatment to thicken the individual strands? Apart from that I'm drawing a blank. Patience is key. I think for now Ill just keep babying my hair and allowing it grow. When it reaches a length that I'm happy with, I'll do a good trim to get rid of the thinner ends.
  • This is my hair wet, I had just rinsed out the deep Conditioner. The ends look a little thin to me, but I see no split ends at the moment, so Ill just leave them alone for now. Ill continue to keep them well moisturized and sealed daily, and I rarely rarely RARELY allow them to hang free, to minimize potential damage. (please forgive the tag, eeps!)


What have I been up to???


Its been a hectic week but I've managed to still find time to fit in both work and play :-D When things get stressful a little lime with the girlies and Pussers "painkiller" will do the trick thanks very much :-D
I did have healthier limes to, I managed to squeeze in a brunch at island roots that didn't slaughter my diet, and was actually full of good "hair growth nutrients". Lol, yes I actually thought about that when I ordered the omelette. T'was yummeh!


Hair-wise I'd say this week was pretty good...
I've kept my hair in braids, and I did a full pre-poo/shampoo/conditioner/deep conditioner session on Friday 31/01/14, all while in my hair was still in braids. It went pretty well! 
Tangles aren't an issue because all the hair is kept in its detangled state while in the braids. I think end up using more product than normal because I try to saturate each braid individually I use a little extra product. I suppose I do this because I don't want my hair strands to be washed or conditioned unevenly.

  1. I Pre-pooed with a healthy amount of coconut oil. For maximum penetration I left it on under a plastic cap for about 10 mins before I washed it out.
  2. I washed with Head and Shoulders Shampoo (the regular one) focusing mainly only the scalp. Then I washed with She Moisture's Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo. This second wash was simply to make sure I got the strands properly cleaned. I don't usually do that wen my hair is free because its easier for each strand to be washed by simply by the shampoo running down from the scalp. But in braids I'm afraid of any build up within the braids themselves, so I made sure to wash and rinse them thoroughly.
  3. I deep conditioned with Pantene Truly Natural Deep Conditioner, my braids seem to love it. Once it was rinsed out I followed with Aphogee 2 minute Reconstructor Protein conditioner for about 5 minutes while standing in the steam of the shower. I rinsed out the conditioner, then did an AVC Rinse (1/3 vinegar to 2/3 water).
  4. I then rinsed my hair with cold water, and air-dried my hair withe a silk scarf tied around my edges. I then sealed in moisture with grapeseed oil + castor oil.





5.  I finished the process by moisturizing each braid with She moistures Coconut & Hibiscus Curl and Style Milk, then I secured the ends with a flexirod, rolled it up, tied a satin scarf, and voila! all done! :-)

Yeppers Peppers! So that was my hair week. 
I hope you guys are having a great weekend!

Xoxo,
Rachie :-)

No comments